Will be updating, last update was from 2003 – gads, HTML is NEVER done.
Places and Culture
- Norway, where I visited in 1970, is in many ways similar to Alaska. Quite a fascinating and beautiful country. I studied Norwegian and Scandinavian literature at UC Berkeley.
- Now Berkeley was another story and culture in the late ’60s and early ’70s. That was an education!
- Iceland is also a country with much to offer, including a rich history of sagas.
- Perhaps my fascination with Scandinavia is why I was also enamored with the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, author of the famed “Lord of the Rings” Trilogy. It has a feel similar to Norse mythology.
- For that challenging hot spot much deserving of a more peaceful lifestyle, check out Ayelet’s page on Israel. She is also one of a very few Israelis who are fans of Irish music, which is an important component of my music pages.
- Ayelet also does an Irish travel section that will no doubt be growing.
- I spent a good deal of time in the Sierra (NOT Sierras) Nevada, particularly Yosemite National Park.
- And then there is Jamaica, a wonderful warm country with a vibrant culture –
one of my very favorite places in the world, particularly the little west end community of
Negril. Check out these links.
- Here be a pile of Jamaican links, mon – but dese guys, dem changing links allatime, gwan now!
Arlene Laing’s Jamaica – Has a bunch of links on Jamaica.
Jamaica Tourist Board – Descriptions and links for popular destinations.
The Jamaican Gleaner Newspaper On-Line – The Establishment newspaper for Jamaica.
Unofficial Web Site on Jamaican – A humorous, Netscape 3.0 enhanced site (2014 note – hoo boy!) with a bunch of Jamaican and Caribbean links. Their “Talk Jamaican” page is worth the entire trip!
- Dick Gregory, the black political comedian, had some real smart takes on American culture.